Coburg West School Community
The Coburg West School Community (CWSC), (formerly Parents and Friends Association) was formed to enable families of students at the school to play an active role in their children's education and in school events. It is a vital part of the school community and represents our families at the school.
The CWSC is a Sub-Committee of the School Council with a Terms of Reference. Our aims and objectives are:
- to contribute to and promote the well-being of the school community;
- to encourage the participation of all parents in the life of the school and the education of their children;
- to provide opportunities for parents to get to know each other and to be informed about their child’s school;
- to provide information for parents to extend their understanding of the school;
- to work in cooperation with the School Council to promote school community objectives; and
- to raise funds for the benefit of the school.
You're a member - congratulations!
All current parents, teachers and friends of the school are automatically members of the CWSC. We encourage anyone and everyone to get involved in whatever capacity they can. Our children will spend at least seven years at the school, so getting involved in the School Community is a great way to build relationships with people that you can share the journey with, whilst helping the school.
How the magic happens - Parent Class Representatives
We are excited to launch a new program in 2019 - Parent Class Representatives (Reps). This program seeks to make it easier for parents to be involved in their child's community through parents volunteering as Parent Class Reps.
This role will support the classroom teacher (if requested); to co-ordinate help in the classroom or on excursions, assist with communicating information to parents through a class email list & they will arrange the fun community stuff - catch-ups & team volunteering.
If you think this sounds great & would like to know more, please read the position description and the information package that contains; code of conduct, selection process & more. You can apply here.
Recent fundraising activities have supported improvements in areas of school facilities, creating a community space, supporting grade 6 graduation, student and school events, literacy, outdoor landscaping and ICT needs.
Some of the social, fundraising and community activities of the CWSC are:
- Free Community BBQ
- Fete (bi-annual)
- Parents night (bi-annual)
- Mango drive
- Book drive
- Student Disco
- Bunnings BBQ
- Inter-school parents AFL game
- Mother's & Father's Day stalls for the children
- Welcoming new parents during Prep orientation
Got a great idea for an activity you'd like to run? Fill out this checklist and send it to us by email so we can review it. https://www.cobw.vic.edu.au/uploaded_files/media/coburg_west_school_community_activity_checklist.docx
You can keep informed of what we are doing through the CWSC:
- Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/343163175722450/
- fortnightly school newsletter
- email group (to get on the list send us an email email@example.com )
- school assembly, and
- Compass notifications
We meet each month alternating between school hours & evenings, to discuss ideas for improvements, fundraising activities, plan social events, or to assist with arrangements for school activities.
The good stuff
All of our events take place through the support of our parent community, whether it’s a meeting or a school function, we would love to see you. This kind of magic doesn’t just happen, it takes a group of people who are willing to give when and how they can, it’s a beautiful thing!
We look forward to welcoming you to the CWSC!
You can contact us by email: firstname.lastname@example.org and the Facebook page.
The 2019 CWSC office bearers are:
Louise Harrison – President
Meg Breese - Vice President
Bec Henry – Treasurer
Leah Lombardo - Secretary